V-Groove Method of Fiberglass Duct Board Fabrication
The "V-Groove Method" of fiberglass duct board fabrication is one of the more common methods used today in the field. The popularity of the V-Groove method is due to only requiring 2 Tools and 4 cuts as opposed to other methods which can require 3 to 4 tools and 5 cuts.
The Tools Required for the V-Groove Method:
V-Groove Method- Measurement Dimensions:
- Determine Total Board Length: Add all of the ID (inside dimensions) of all four sides of the finished duct + the add on.
- 1" Thick Board Add On: 7"
- 1-1/2" Thick Board Add On: 10"
- 2" Thick Board Add On: 13.75"
- When installing fiberglass duct board fabrication draw all Lines on the Board for the cuts. For the distance between lines, take the ID of the finished duct + the add on (see image below). Make sure to take the add on for the correct board thickness as the add on measurements vary by board thickness.
- Use the Red Tool to cut on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines. There is a center line on the front of the Red Tool's handle base, make sure to line up that notch with the line on the board.
- Use the Blue Tool for the 4th cut. Make sure the tool's blades are set for With Shiplap and With Skinner. Line up the tool's center line mark with the line on the board.
- When you're installing fiberglass duct board fabrication, remove all scrap from the board and fold the board inwards to form the finished duct. Take the paper from the end cut and staple/tape to the other end of the board. Use of glass fab mesh and mastic on the seams are recommended to prevent air leakage.